Re: [K12OSN] Scary article from Russia (w/o love)

On the one hand you mention server, the other desktop, then you disregard my comment about using wine or crossover. I'm not really sure how to respond to your queries. IF you're really serious about wanting a fully working solution that includes a business server solution together with great fully working desktops, I'd suggest SLES and SLED, both of which have great easily integrated and working LDAP for server and client, as well as Thin terminal server support, and the host of other items. Kivio is indeed a QT native app, but its really very close to what Visio does, being free and all, it surely makes it worth it, but there is nothing stopping you from using Visio on Linux. In fact, the school I administered ran LTSP 5 which made it real easy to manage, and local apps microsoft items for those who wanted it. Wine is at a stage where pretty much everything major just works... yes, even access... and for the real easy solution crossover. Of course SLES, SLED, MS licenses and crossover are all paid solutions, but its still far less than paying individual licenses for MS Vista, MS Office for every station as well as anything else like small business server with active directory etc. Another solution is to use IBMs domino server, which runs quite well on Linux and is a fair replacement for SBS, but again a paid solution, though far less than the MS counterpart.

My point is, there are many many alternatives, and its just about finding the right one to fit your needs. Linux is ready for the desktop and server and has been for about a year now. I'm betting that in 5 years, this wont even be a discussion anymore, but its funny how people still need to discover a lot of this to believe it. Someone else telling them the tools exist obviously isn't enough.