Re: [K12OSN] wall mart wall wort as app or profile server?

Not quite 50 bucks less, you still need to buy the processor.

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM , Jeff Siddall wrote:

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
Then this is freakin' killer, dudes/dudettes.  Talk about "thin"
clients! All we need now with this thing is a USB hub for the keyboard, mouse, and ANTonline USB-to-VGA adapter, and we're done. Nobody'd even
*see* the computer.  A little mini-GNU/Linux distro with just the
essentials (network stack and X11) installed on that built-in flash
drive would DO THE TRICK!

I dunno.  Perhaps I am a hard to please, but by the time you are all
done you will have spent $100 (wall wort) + $60 (USB2VGA) + $10 (USB
hub) = $170 and what do you have?  A thin client with crummy video
support (1280x1024 = 17-19" monitor max. -- no widescreen support)
practically no local-app support, and a bunch of dongles hung off a wall wort, plus all the time wasted getting a custom linux spin to support it
all.

I would rather spend $50 _less_ ($105 board/case/PS + $15 stick of DDR2)
and get this:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bp_m360_lf

Which is LTSP plug-n-play.

If you really like small and fanless and don't mind spending more, get this:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9a15

You could reclaim the 2.5" HD and sell it to recover some of the cost.

Jeff