Re: [K12OSN] New to K12Linux, Question

murrah boswell wrote:

Some Intels will work OK, but (on CentOS 5) the 3945 requires using the RPMForge repositories. Fedora, with its newer kernel (2.6.24 and later have the Intel 3945 driver in-tree), is said to work out of the box with it. I know from experience that Slackware 12.2 (kernel 2.6.27) works great with Intel 3945 wireless.

I am currently building the K12LTSP 5 EL distribution, I guess it is based on CentOS 5. If I have to, how do I access the RPMForge repositories to get access to 3945 drivers?

Google is your friend.  Also have a look in /etc/yum.repos.d.

Broadcom, nope, so stay far, far away from those. Broadcom, Inc. seem not to like Linux AT ALL. If your laptop's already cursed with Broadcom wireless, then replace that wireless NIC if you can with something better (it's not hard at all), and watch for this with future purchases. *CAN* you make them work? Yes, and I have, but it's a hassle.

Interesting, since Linksys uses Broadcom chips. My Linksys WRT54GLs Verson 2.2 use the Broadcom BCM5325EKQM chip and both OpenWRT and DD-WRT run fine. However, I have never connected through as a thin client, so I will find out.

Yeah, that's because neither OpenWRT noror DD-WRT are based in the United States. OpenWRT is in Hungary (like MPlayer), and DD-WRT is in Germany. If they were in the USA, Broadcom would be suing the hell out of the developers. Both contain Broadcom's BCM43XX firmwares, for which Broadcom (unlike Ralink and Realtek) don't allow free redistribution. Essentially, OpenWRT and DD-WRT are flagrantly breaking US copyright law, but since they're overseas, Broadcom can't touch 'em.

Note also that virtually all 802.11b cards work (e. g. Orinoco). Yeah, I know, way back machine, but they work. Saved my butt one day when the Broadcom piece of junk wouldn't work. I popped my "old" Orinoco in, and boom, I had wireless.

I use Linksys WPC54Gs (802.11b and g) on old Dell laptops, so they should work okay with K12LTSP 5 EL. I will test and report back later!

Waitasec... you're not wanting to do LTSP thin clients *across wireless*, are you? If that's what you're contemplating, then don't do it. The "why" has been hashed over and over on this list before. On the other hand, if you're going to use K12LTSP 5EL as your actual workstation OS (e. g. installed to your laptop's hard disk), then yes, that'll be great. I run K12LTSP 5EL in exactly that way on a Dell C640 (it has an Orinoco wireless), and it works beautifully.

--TP