Re: [K12OSN] Upgrading from LTSP Fedora?

On 06/10/2010 12:40 PM, Joseph Bishay wrote:
So I was thinking -- our server is currently running Fedora 10 but I'd
like to update it to fedora 13 for the increased performance, updates
etc.  Can I just upgrade version 10 ->  11 ->  12 ->  as per
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq ?  Or am I asking for a
world of hurt? :)

For what it's worth, I've tried upgrading my desktop system from Fedora 11 to 12 using that method and not only did it turn out to be much more time-consuming than installing from scratch, the upgraded system was broken to the extent that I didn't want to waste any more time on it. I suspect the problem was with the proprietary nVidia driver I had installed on F11.

Regardless of whether you use the upgrade or clean install method, you must have a good backup anyway so you have nothing to lose, other than time, by trying the upgrade method first. On clean installs, do NOT rely on the installer doing the right thing and not clobbering filesystems that you've excluded from being overwritten during the installation process. I've read some horror stories on the Ubuntu list written by people who swear that they excluded /home and yet the installer got confused when it assembled the RAID set and managed to clobber their /home filesystem on a separate logical volume which, predictably, wasn't backed up.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis