[K12OSN] Upgrading from LTSP Fedora?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Thu Jun 10 17:07:34 UTC 2010

On 06/10/2010 12:40 PM, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> So I was thinking -- our server is currently running Fedora 10 but I'd
> like to update it to fedora 13 for the increased performance, updates
> etc.  Can I just upgrade version 10 ->  11 ->  12 ->  as per
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq ?  Or am I asking for a
> world of hurt? :)

For what it's worth, I've tried upgrading my desktop system from Fedora
11 to 12 using that method and not only did it turn out to be much more
time-consuming than installing from scratch, the upgraded system was
broken to the extent that I didn't want to waste any more time on it. I
suspect the problem was with the proprietary nVidia driver I had
installed on F11.

Regardless of whether you use the upgrade or clean install method, you
must have a good backup anyway so you have nothing to lose, other than
time, by trying the upgrade method first. On clean installs, do NOT rely
on the installer doing the right thing and not clobbering filesystems
that you've excluded from being overwritten during the installation
process. I've read some horror stories on the Ubuntu list written by
people who swear that they excluded /home and yet the installer got
confused when it assembled the RAID set and managed to clobber their
/home filesystem on a separate logical volume which, predictably, wasn't
backed up.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay