[K12OSN] Users can't login

Brian Fristensky bfristen at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 28 21:26:01 UTC 2010

Barry,

Thanks for a speedy reply.

----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net>
Date: Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:45 pm
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Users can't login
To: K12LTSP <k12osn at redhat.com>

> Brian,
>
> 1. Can user John Doe log into the server console itself with no
> probs,firstly?
Yes. All users can login at the console.

>It appears when you do a manual install of the ltsp
> client you are ending up with a multitude of errors.
> Are you sure you done the ltsp chroot routine correctly before
> trying to
> build the ltsp client? From what you explain,it seems you are familiar
> with the chroot thing from previous ltsp installs?

Yes, I have done numerous installs of LTSP over recent years,
and have a written step by step protocol that has worked well
in the past. In essence it is the steps from

https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/InstallGuide

followed by

/usr/sbin/ltsp-build-client --arch i386
cd /etc/yum.repos.d

cp -p *.repo /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/yum.repos.d
setarch i386 /usr/sbin/chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
mount /proc -t proc proc

yum update yum

yum update

After yum is complete, exit the chroot by typing 'exit'.

sudo ltsp-update-kernels
sudo ltsp-update-sshkeyssudo ltsp-update-image

This has worked well for some time, with various installs.

> 2. Did you do an yum update to the server side itself before
> installingthe ltsp client by chance?

always. see above

> 3. Please post your /etc/hosts file here when you have a chance?

192.168.1.103    orpheus    # Added by NetworkManager
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost
::1    orpheus    localhost6.localdomain6    localhost6
#24.66.94.159    shawnews.wp.shawcable.net    shawnews
64.59.128.135    shawmail.wp.shawcable.net    shawmail
130.179.16.26    antares.cc.umanitoba.ca    antares
.... and many more remote servers

> 4. Did you set static ip addresses on both nics when initially
> installing ltsp ( and have not changed the ip's since)??

I only have one NIC and an ltsp bridge. I shouldn't think that would cause
the problem I've observed, because clearly, the thin client is finding the image and downloading it and booting normally.

> A few things to try and narrow stuff down .

Now we get our hands dirty...