[K12OSN] Wireless - TC boot status

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Mon Oct 25 13:41:14 UTC 2010

On 10/24/2010 10:17 PM, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Barry  Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>
>> I'm not smart enough,but wonder if anyone would be able to figure
>> something out in a script to add to the rc.d folder of the ltsp
>> root,that would simply initialize the onboard wifi of the TC, and try
>> and scan 'the area' for any available AP,and connect to it transparently
>> at boot time of the TC.
>
> I accidentially found this site that had someone who worked out a
> system for LTSP to PXE boot wirelessly.  I made a note to bookmark in
> case this ever came up. I certainly don't remotely claim to understand
> how this works at all :)
>
> http://www.sarathlakshman.info/2010/03/14/wireless-ltsp/
>
> Thought I'd pass it along

Yes, that might work, but my original point was that it can't be diskless:

"The limitation of Wireless card is that it does not have a facility
like PXE to boot the minimal OS. So we have to look at some other ways
to boot the minimal OS. So I decided to use either a CDRom or USB
pendrive to make an equivalent setup like PXE."

By my definition CDROM/USB drive != diskless.

The other issue I see with this is it can really only work in a single
environment.  If _any_ user intervention is required things fall apart.
 Examples of user intervention include free wifi variants that make the
user agree to conditions on a web site before connecting, any network
with wireless security enabled, and any non-broadcast SSID networks.  In
my experience that accounts for the bulk of public wireless!  For me yet
another requirement is VPN capabilities.

If I ever get NX working I will post my results with that over wireless.

Jeff