[K12OSN] Sever load , calculating

Charlie charlie at smbis.com
Sat Sep 11 14:42:39 UTC 2010

Is the blue 40-pin IDC connector of the 80 pin IDE cable at the
controller end (motherboard IDE?) and not at the drive end? The reason
for this is the blue IDC connector ties the ground plane together.  Is
the cable <= 18"? Are both drive on the same controller interface? e.g.:
Primary IDE... To get maximum throughput out of two separate drives, I
would place each on a controller as the master, then if I had to have a
CD drive, I would add it to the Primary IDE as a slave. If you think you
might be swapping drive around from time to time, you may want to go the
CS (cable select) route, but you must make sure how the cable connects
to the mainboard and then to the drives for proper operation. See these
links: http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Ultra_ATA_66/100_IDE

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html