[K12OSN] HELP NEEDED NOW: Need Documentation Testing and Feedback

Dean Jones dean.jones at oregonstate.edu
Thu Aug 11 23:14:09 UTC 2011

On 8/11/11 12:42 PM, Dean Jones wrote:
> Hah yeah, it started working 5 minutes after I sent this.  No idea what
> the issue was.
>
> Here are my test notes:
>
>   From these instructions:
> https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/InstallGuide
>
> CentOS 6 minimal install.  x86_64, netinstall.
> Target clients are Thin clients in kiosk mode (firefox only).  (old
> hardware, slow video, no fuse etc)
>
> Not really related to LTSP steps before starting:
> yum update
> yum install libssh2.x86_64 openssh openssh-askpass openssh-clients
> openssh-server wget bind-utils
> disable selinux
> reboot
> setup ssh keys
>
> Using instructions now:
> yum groupinstall Desktop (gnome)
> rpm -Uhv
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm
> yum update -- nothing to update
> rpm -Uhv
> http://mplug.org/~k12linux/rpm/el6/x86_64/k12linux-release-5.2.16-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
>
> yum install ltsp-server
> echo "/opt/ltsp *(ro,async,no_root_squash)">>  /etc/exports
> chkconfig network on
> for service in xinetd ltsp-dhcpd rpcbind nfs sshd; do chkconfig $service
> on; service $service restart; done
> for server in ldminfod nbdrootd nbdswapd tftp; do chkconfig $server on; done
> ltsp-build-client
> vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 (ltsp interface)
> add BRIDGE=ltspbr0, change onboot to yes
> edited /etc/sysconfig/iptables and allowed all from eth1 interface
> ltsp-server-tweaks
> mkdir /opt/ltsp/kiosk-home
> useradd -d /opt/ltsp/kiosk-home/ws504 ws504
> groupadd kiosk
> usermod -a -G kiosk ws504
> usermod -a -G fuse ws504
> edit /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
> 	add in group for thin clients, mac addy and static ip
> /etc/init.d/ltsp-dhcpd restart
>
> Client will PXE boot and hit TFTP properly but my old thin clients don't
> like the kernel so I need to work on building a custom one for the chroot.
>
> I have a mini-lab setup and can also test with a PXE booted PC if anyone
> needs something specific tested etc.

Replying to myself to update.

Using Dell Optiplex 745 as PXE client

PXE Boots just fine into Scientific Linux 6
Can log in, gnome desktop, nice and fast.
USB stick automounts, read/write ok
can not unmount:
error: Unable to unmount usbdisk-sb1
is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
root can umount of course
user is in fuse group
does package ltspfsd need to be installed?
Does not seem to change the behavior if it is

flash works with adobes new 64 bit plugin.
sound works fine and volume changer in panel works.
flash video very fast and perfectly usable.

slow boot
ata2.00 link is slow to respond, please be paitent.  time out.  tries 3x
same message
limit SATA link to 1.5g speed - then boots.
NFS statd service fails to start
mounting local file systems registers as failed?
all those errors hiddne by Scientific linux splash screen though

works fine both if specified or not in the /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf file

If anyone has specific test needs let me know as i'll keep the test
systems around for a few days.