[K12OSN] Need Quick Help - Any way to do a low level, complete copy of my boot HD?

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Sun Aug 14 21:49:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

Sorry.  My boot drive is apparently failing.  Just got this in the mail
after having to rescue my grub/boot info after waking up to a dead server.

Device: /dev/hda, 51 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

The email before that said 44 Currently unreadable.

So, is there a way to slap another 40 gig HD (that's how big the current one is) in there and type a command, from say the rescue CD's command line and just copy over what I have now, verbatim, to a new disk.  I'm going to keep googling, but I trust this list more than most Linux info I've seen.  Like copying at the /dev/hda level.  Copying partitions, etc.

Thanks,

ck