Re: [K12OSN] iptables gurus

On 12/20/2011 05:06 PM, Barry R Cisna wrote:
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p udp -m udp --sport 4569 -j DSCP
--set-dscp-class ef
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p udp -m udp --sport 10000:20000 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class ef
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p udp -m udp --sport 5060 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class ef

What you have there is fine, but all you are doing is tagging the packets as expedited. Unless you have set something up to prioritize the traffic based on that tag nothing is going to happen because of it.

Here is a great script that uses the tc command to do the actual prioritization:

http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

Modify it as described in the readme for your bandwidth and applications then fire it up after your internet connection and you are good to go.

Also, I have a vague recollection that it didn't actually match EF packets so I had to modify one of the matches. I think this match statement should work for EF:

match ip tos 0xb8 0xff

I have been using wshaper with good results for years now.

Jeff