Re: [K12OSN] Poll: Priorities?

On 6/29/2011 10:05 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
On 06/20/2011 05:26 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/EL6Status

Poll: What features or bugs do people think are most important to fix
first?

(Fedora 14 Support: Fedora support is not a goal of K12Linux development
for numerous reasons including: Fedora 14 updates ends in ~6 months, and
Fedora 15 is almost incompatible with LTSP. That being said, if sponsors
really want Fedora 14 supported then I'll bump up its priority. At least
one sponsor commented that they wanted Fedora 14 support. It might take
only 2-3 days to make it fully supported (but with the same bugs as EL6,
ldm being the most obvious).)

Warren

Fedora 14 support already exists. I just upgrade a F13 LTSP system to
F14 using the http://www.dageek.co.uk/ltsp/ltsp.repo courtesy of Gavin
Spurgeon and did not have any issues. I have not upgraded the chroot
yet, but the server side works great. Definitely don't waste any time on
F14.

F14 /opt/ltsp/i386 chroot creation is already an option for EL6. It allows us a stop-gap solution if the i686 PAE kernel is not bootable on your client. The F14 kernel is i686 without PAE, and includes the nbd.ko kernel module allowing clients with maybe 128MB RAM to operate. EL6 chroot lacks nbd.ko so network swap doesn't work, meaning it probably needs 256MB+ RAM.

It is a goal to provide a i686 non PAE kernel, but I haven't yet decided what is the most sustainable way of doing so.

For me KDE4 support is a must. My users all run it on F14 now and do not
want to "downgrade" to Gnome 2 :)

That being said I tried KDE in EL6 it and it seems to work as well in
LTSP as could be expected given that not everything works properly even
without LTSP!

There is something screwy with phonon as I get a boatload of "Unable to
use the GStreamer Multimedia Backend: The shared library was not found."
messages.

Are those annoying pop-ups? I know almost nothing about KDE's stack and the people I can ask at Red Hat for help are unable to help me, so I probably can't find the fix for KDE issues.

Also, the normal fusefs client filesystem stuff works fine, in the sense
that the client media is mounted on the server, but there is no
indication in KDE that this has happened via tie-in to the device
notifier etc. That is no different from previous K12Linux, though it
would be nice to have.

I think Debian has a hook to notify KDE somehow. It's already on the TODO List as a low priority.

Warren