[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Gavin Spurgeon gspurgeon at dageek.co.uk
Thu May 12 15:36:53 UTC 2011

On 11/05/2011 23:15, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> On 5/9/2011 4:19 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
>> On 05/08/2011 08:50 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> It has been a LONG while since I've been able to look at k12linux.org,
>>> but I haven't forgotten about this project.  2007 through 2009 Red Hat
>>> generously supported my time to work on this project.  In 2010 I've
>>> since left Red Hat in order to help my parents with the family business
>>> and prepare for grad school.
>>>
>>> K12Linux LTSP EL6
>>> =================
>>> I soon plan on working on a version of LTSP based on EL6.
>>
>> Thanks Warren, I am eagerly awaiting this as a long term migration
>> platform for my current K12Linux systems.
>
> I am reconsidering the worth of working on this project.  This has not
> been much of a positive response.  In fact most of the response has been
> only bitching from people who want everything but are willing to
> contribute nothing.  Not having worked on this for years I had forgot
> how thankless this work is.
>
> I may consider releasing it only if enough people are willing to donate
> to make this thankless grief worthwhile.

The work that I did to make the packages work on F13 was minimal, All I
did was to take to current upstream code and package it with some very
very small changes to one or 2 txt conf files.

I am sure that I/we/others could do the same with the current upstream
code on F14, F15 or even EL6/CentOS/SL6.

I have a week of down time from my day-2-day job coming very soon, so
would have no issue trying get a very basic current upstream version
built and packaged (.rpm) ready for people to test, I had loads of
people contact me about testing the .rpm's I built for F13 and loads of
feedback for users who did play with the packages on both F13 & F14.

I was in the process of trying to work out how on earth to get my .spec
files uploaded to the Fedora Build system so that KoJi could auto built
them, but never worked it out in the end.

@ Warren, If you could help by pointing me to some instructions on how
you got LTSP in there in the 1st place, I could then move thing forward
a little bit more with the new builds if needs be and try to get the
ball rolling again.

When it comes to your comment about "how thankless this work is" Your
time @ Red Hat should have made you well used to that by now ;-)

I also know that not a lot of people are on this mailing list that use
the LTSP packages on Fedora anyway, I was talking to a lot of people
over on the #ltsp irc channel that had no idea this mailing list even
exists or that K12LTSP for that matter, they just know LTSP and do 'yum
install ltsp' on Fedora.

They have now be educated :-)

- --

Gavin Spurgeon.
AKA Da Geek

"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything,
they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.."

--
This message was scanned by DaGeek Spam Filter and is believed to be clean.