[K12OSN] depmod in chroot?

I have an x86_64 server with i686 clients. I run the chroot inside linux32 which does the trick for most things architecture related.

However, I tried compiling and installing a chroot kernel module and had problems. Looks like autoconfig uses `uname -r` in a number of places and and of course that is the one place that still references x86_64. I was able to manually hack the Makefile and got the module compiled. However, the install process runs depmod -a and it is still looking for an x86_64 folder which of course does not exist.

Any ideas how to get an i686 chroot kernel module installed on an x86_64 server?