Re: [K12OSN] Poor performance woes

On 09/20/2011 04:34 PM, Dean Jones wrote:
+1 on the 64 bit flash.  Much better performance if the problem is
flash related.

The page he's trying to load has no flash. When I was testing, I had all the TC's playing full-screen youtube vids. It was a little laggy, but it did not fall to its knees.

As you know Windows will perform poorly on those clients as well
regardless of the server specs.  It is dated hardware with little
video memory.

I know that full well. I doubt the ability of the school board to understand that though until they give it a whirl. The TC's actually have HD's in them with Win2K. I've considered booting into that and giving them a demo.

To add injury to insult, the board member I mentioned previously is bringing in a "computer person" to "evaluate our needs". Grrrr. Nevermind that I'm a software engineer with over 25 years of experience.

You can try nbdroot for a slight speed increase over NFS if the
problem is file i/o related.

It's already using nbd.

Thanks for your suggestions.