[K12OSN] Local priner problem

Jaap Bril jaap at jbril.net
Wed Mar 6 09:05:16 UTC 2013

Debug of [..]/sbin/jetpipe revealed line 50: only '/dev/tty..' are
serial, devicetype 'S'. Other names will be parralel devicetype 'P'.

jetpipe:
>       50         if devicename[:8] == '/dev/tty':*# This should catch regular serial and USB serial*
[..]

>       59             self.devicetype = 'S'
>       60         else:
>       61             self.device = open(devicename, 'wb')
>       62             self.devicetype = 'P'

I 'eliminated' this error and useing '/dev/usb/lp0' jetpipe threw an
exception:
serial.serialutil.SerialException("Could not configure port:(25,
'Inappropriate ioctl for device')

The comment on line 307 (serialposix.py) might be your answer.
>      305         try:
>      306             iflag, oflag, cflag, lflag, ispeed, ospeed, cc = termios.tcgetattr(self.fd)
>      307         except termios.error, msg:*# if a port is nonexistent but has a /dev file, it'll fail here*
>      308             raise SerialException("Could not configure port: %s" % msg)
Why the prot would be nonexistent I do not know; /dev/usb/lp0 gets
created when a printer is connected to a usb port.

Jaap