[katello-devel] Initial Dashboard Page Thoughts

Jason Rist jrist at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 22:17:26 UTC 2011

Some thoughts on the initial Dashboard page.

Assuming a system administrator has just installed Katello from RPM and
has just started the Katello service via command line.

I thought it would be wise to have an initial set of information that
could guide the user toward setting up and utilizing Katello.

1.) If they have no Users or Roles yet, there could be some indication
of that and an ability to go there via link.
2.) If they have no Environments set up or they want to change their
Default Organization, we should show them "You currently have a single
Organization and it's 'Default_Org' - do you want to edit it and add
some Environments?"
3.) If they have no subscriptions set up for a Red Hat provider or no
Custom Provider (yet), the system would also show that and perhaps give
a small walkthrough with info.
4.) If they have no content sync'd I thnk it's important to do two things:
	i.) Show them the directory (server?) where their content will be
stored once they sync.  I've already encountered full disks due to
syncing too much content to a drive that wasn't ready to handle it.
	ii.) Give them an indication of how to do this, along with sync plans
and schedules.
  Obviously this would not show if they don't have any custom products
or a redhat provider with subscriptions and a valid provider url set up.
5.) If they have no systems registered, it could help to show them that
and then point them in the direction of getting systems registered.
This could be via the command line or via the Web UI.
6.) A small tutorial or some simple documentation to get them going on a
Promotion once they've done 2 and 3, 4 (and maybe 5?).

Obviously these would go away as they "accomplish" the tasks
(Achievement Unlocked!), or they can dismiss them outright.

I'm sure I will think of more and you guys probably have some ideas as
well, but I thought this is a.) a better use of the Dashboard page for
the time being and b.) a welcoming beginning to using Katello.

-J
--
Jason E. Rist
Senior Software Engineer