[katello-devel] Katello - request: add webrat to support rspec tests

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 11:58:23 UTC 2011

On 07/23/2011 06:23 PM, Brad Buckingham wrote:
> I'd really like to add it.  Would anyone be opposed to it?

I like it very much. Just few ideas:

How it play with AJAX? Because we have many portions of the UI in
JavaScript. I guess it does not simulate full browser environment, thus
more effort could be required to test it. This *could* be advantage of
Selinium and similar tools.

I am also not sure if your intention is to use it in our unit test
suite, but "click on link, check if page has 'ok' text" is definitely
not a unit test. This is rather integration test. We should use them
only for triggering simple examples (units), but not as whole scenarios.

And ... is this aligned with QA plans? I mean there are some katello-gui
hudson jobs. I am not sure what they do (sent a list already).

I am big fan of those "agile" testing frameworks. I interpret them as
more important than "agile" development frameworks.

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno