[katello-devel] Going through a basic patch management story

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 20:37:05 UTC 2011

I am trying to go through a very basic patch management story [1]. I am
going to do the CLI first, and then the GUI. For the CLI, my commands so
far are at [2].

Going through the command line path, I came up with the following
bugs/issues/questions. Please take a look and provide any comments. I
will enter bugs as appropriate.

1) Typing in the $ORGNAME kills me. Need to put on the backlog setting
this in the environment, or pulling it from a config.

2) The client config file is in /etc/katello/client.conf. I think since
this is a per user tool it should be in .katello.rc or some other user file.

3) When we import repos, we are creating content in Candlepin with the
upstream repo URL. I think this is a bug, the repo url needs to be what
pulp will expose in the CDN. I assume that the repo structure will
always be

$ORG/$ENV/$PRODUCT/XXXX where XXXX is the same across all environments.

4) Products do not seem to be created in candlepin until the promotion
out of the locker. Seems nutty. My promotion failed, so I need to try
this again.

5) Do we want repos in products to have the enabled/disabled flag by
default? Today, they are all enabled on.

6) Do we want to create product ids for custom products? That would
allos us to track what is installed on the machine just like redhat content.

7) When you create a change set, it defaults to the locker.. which can
not have change sets. I think this is a bug. --environment should be a
required

8) Change Set output should list the environment since it is using to
provide context to the output. This seems like a bug.

-- bk

[1] http://fpaste.org/JFny/
[2] http://fpaste.org/psOK/