[katello-devel] Going through a basic patch management story

Todd Sanders tsanders at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 20:50:08 UTC 2011

On 07/28/2011 04:37 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> I am trying to go through a very basic patch management story [1]. I
> am going to do the CLI first, and then the GUI. For the CLI, my
> commands so far are at [2].
>
> Going through the command line path, I came up with the following
> bugs/issues/questions. Please take a look and provide any comments. I
> will enter bugs as appropriate.
>
> 1) Typing in the $ORGNAME kills me. Need to put on the backlog setting
> this in the environment, or pulling it from a config.

Are you suggesting environment names need to be unique across orgs?  Or
rather that the CLI should support setting an Org context that can be
used for a following set of commands?

> 2) The client config file is in /etc/katello/client.conf. I think
> since this is a per user tool it should be in .katello.rc or some
> other user file.

Good point.

> 3) When we import repos, we are creating content in Candlepin with the
> upstream repo URL. I think this is a bug, the repo url needs to be
> what pulp will expose in the CDN. I assume that the repo structure
> will always be
>
> $ORG/$ENV/$PRODUCT/XXXX where XXXX is the same across all environments.

+1

> 4) Products do not seem to be created in candlepin until the promotion
> out of the locker. Seems nutty. My promotion failed, so I need to try
> this again.
>
> 5) Do we want repos in products to have the enabled/disabled flag by
> default? Today, they are all enabled on.

What does enabled/disabled mean?  Is this the "publish" attribute in
Pulp?  If so, it should not be enabled until promoted out of the locker.

> 6) Do we want to create product ids for custom products? That would
> allos us to track what is installed on the machine just like redhat
> content.

Yes.  Eventually we may want to allow for customers to protect they're
custom content.  Pulp provides this capability today.

> 7) When you create a change set, it defaults to the locker.. which can
> not have change sets. I think this is a bug. --environment should be a
> required

+1

-Todd