[katello-devel] RFC: Notification system

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 12:12:15 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 08:00 AM, Hugh Brock wrote:
> (cc-ing katello-devel)
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:39:56AM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
>> On 13/08/12 10:26 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I've been dwelling on user notifications a bit more. #3623 implies this
>>> functionality, and there are some comments visible here:
>>> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/issues/3623
>>>
>>> We have some licensing difference between our projects (grr!),
>> Not sure if this is a conversation for this mailing list, but was
>> there a conversation about licensing of projects and if we could all
>> use the same license?
>>
>> -d
>
> Yeah this is actually a good thing to bring up.
>
> Aeolus moved to the Apache license from GPL v2+about 18 months ago for various
> reasons -- Deltacloud is an Apache project, ASL seems more
> familiar/comfortable to the Ruby world, etc.
>
> If Katello upstream and associated projects are interested, I think it
> would be beneficial to have everyone on the Apache license (and
> obviously also make code sharing a bit simpler). Given that we can
> always ask Katello to dual-license code we want to share between
> projects, it's not that big of a deal either way.
>
> Take care,
> --Hugh

Will talk about licensing. Is there a definitive "Why ASL is better? Or
is it just because Apache are bullies? Perhaps katello should just go MIT?

On notifications, the other thing I would like to see (ideally a shared
service) is the ability to send email notificaitons out to one or more
users based on events. I would assume templating, batching, and some
sort of data injection. We have that on the errata side (jomara is
looking at it). Perhaps we can have folks co-develop that part too.

-- bk