[katello-devel] RFC: Notification system

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 12:16:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 08:12:15AM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> On 08/14/2012 08:00 AM, Hugh Brock wrote:
> >(cc-ing katello-devel)

> >>Not sure if this is a conversation for this mailing list, but was
> >>there a conversation about licensing of projects and if we could all
> >>use the same license?
> >>
> >>-d
> >
> >Yeah this is actually a good thing to bring up.
> >
> >Aeolus moved to the Apache license from GPL v2+about 18 months ago for various
> >reasons -- Deltacloud is an Apache project, ASL seems more
> >familiar/comfortable to the Ruby world, etc.
> >
> >If Katello upstream and associated projects are interested, I think it
> >would be beneficial to have everyone on the Apache license (and
> >obviously also make code sharing a bit simpler). Given that we can
> >always ask Katello to dual-license code we want to share between
> >projects, it's not that big of a deal either way.
> >
> >Take care,
> >--Hugh
> >

> Will talk about licensing. Is there a definitive "Why ASL is better?
> Or is it just because Apache are bullies? Perhaps katello should
> just go MIT?

IIUC ASL and MIT are ~ compatible so I think you could do either.

The main benefits we were chasing with ASL were 1. fewer restrictions on
re-use of 3rd party contributions, and 2. no requirement to release the
source for the product.

> On notifications, the other thing I would like to see (ideally a
> shared service) is the ability to send email notificaitons out to
> one or more users based on events. I would assume templating,
> batching, and some sort of data injection. We have that on the
> errata side (jomara is looking at it). Perhaps we can have folks
> co-develop that part too.

Yeah this is a very good idea I think.

--H

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey