[katello-devel] RFC: Notification system

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 13:43:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 08:12:15AM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:

> On notifications, the other thing I would like to see (ideally a
> shared service) is the ability to send email notificaitons out to one
> or more users based on events. I would assume templating, batching,
> and some sort of data injection. We have that on the errata side
> (jomara is looking at it). Perhaps we can have folks co-develop that
> part too.

I think extending the notifications system to support sending emails
should be pretty simple. (Famous last words?) But it sounds like what
you're describing is a little more involved -- what I'm thinking could
almost be a quick after_create hook on a person's notification to send
them an email if they hadn't opted out.

It sounds like what you're describing is a good bit different -- a
shared service that (watches for | is informed of) various events,
stores them in a queue, and sends out periodic batch emails, while
allowing admins to create custom criteria for notifications. (I assume
this is what you mean by templating, versus using the equivalent of a
view with ActiveMailer or whatever it's called this year.) I'm not sure
if that's something Conductor needs right now. (But maybe we do and I
just don't see it yet.)

-- Matt