[katello-devel] Non-RHEL clients and bootstrapping

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 08:45:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:24:54AM +0200, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> > No cos we do not deliver it and for RHEL clones this would give you
> > error during install (unless there is a repo).
>
> Why shouldn't it depend on it? The product does not work without
> subscription-manager and an error is imho a more user friendly. I'm a
> user and I would want my warning signs early on and it can't come
> earlier than the package manager. In fact, it's something that you also
> have to solve on the package manager level by adding a repository.

I am not saying we must not add it. Just saying, if we want to do it, we
need to start delivering rhsm and it's dependencies (python-rhsm) in our
client repo.

And by the way, it wont be picked up in Fedora and RHEL, only RHEL
clones will need it. On the other hand, this gives us assurance there is
some minimum version of RHSM IF users will add the client repo. They
don't need to if they don't want to use Package Management features of
Katello (e.g. SAM-like installation - only subscriptions). Then they can
rely on rhsm from RHEL (or Fedora).

Since it won't hurt, I guess we could add this on the next sprint:

As a user, I'd like to have rhsm in katello client repo:
- build rhsm
- edit SystemsRegistration wiki page

LZ

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal