[katello-devel] Bundler vs rpm-gems

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 12:55:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 09:54:06AM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
> I'm going to suggest that we stop maintaining katello-specific gem
> repository, and for a few reasons:
>  - it's redundant
>  - we should make more effort to work with upstream, esp. if this
> concerns security issues
>  - current katello gem repository is not sufficient to be used with
> bundler, as it lacks some of the gems

I would also love to get rid of it. My assumtion is Gemfile.lock would
be THE THING that should keep the correct versions of all gems. But
there are questions?

A) Which version is the correct one? The one from Fedora 16? 17? Or
RHEL6? I would like to have ability to generate the lock file somehow,
so devs would be able to start Katello with various "environments".
Sometimes you have Fedora only bug. Sometimes you introduce RHEL6 bug
(because you develop only on Fedora).

B) How would folks update those lock files. I mean if you want to add
new dependency, bundle install would bump all the versions there. Once
we start to rely on the Gemfile.lock, we will see folks bumping versions
randomly in the git.

So I say - if to get rid of it - why not. But let's somehow generate the
lock file so we all stay on the exact same versions with ability to
switch from Fedoras to RHEL and back.

And basically having our gem repo is one way of achieving that. We are
making sure, that if you do "bundle install" you wont bump versions to
some super-duper new that are totally different from those in the oldest
Fedora or RHEL supported version.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine