[katello-devel] Bundler vs rpm-gems

Dmitri Dolguikh dmitri at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 13:00:50 UTC 2012

On 22/08/12 01:55 PM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 09:54:06AM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
>> I'm going to suggest that we stop maintaining katello-specific gem
>> repository, and for a few reasons:
>>   - it's redundant
>>   - we should make more effort to work with upstream, esp. if this
>> concerns security issues
>>   - current katello gem repository is not sufficient to be used with
>> bundler, as it lacks some of the gems
>>

> I would also love to get rid of it. My assumtion is Gemfile.lock would
> be THE THING that should keep the correct versions of all gems. But
> there are questions?
>
> A) Which version is the correct one? The one from Fedora 16? 17? Or
> RHEL6? I would like to have ability to generate the lock file somehow,
> so devs would be able to start Katello with various "environments".
> Sometimes you have Fedora only bug. Sometimes you introduce RHEL6 bug
> (because you develop only on Fedora).
i'd treat all platforms with the exception of latest fedora as
production-platforms (in a sense that they are running with w/e system
gems are available to them). In this case we can simply ignore versions
part of gem specification in Gemfile.

> B) How would folks update those lock files. I mean if you want to add
> new dependency, bundle install would bump all the versions there. Once
> we start to rely on the Gemfile.lock, we will see folks bumping versions
> randomly in the git.
Again, not an issue on deployment platforms. They either use rpms, or
Bundler.
-d