[katello-devel] Bundler vs rpm-gems

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 13:12:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 02:00:50PM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
> >A) Which version is the correct one? The one from Fedora 16? 17? Or
> >RHEL6? I would like to have ability to generate the lock file somehow,
> >so devs would be able to start Katello with various "environments".
> >Sometimes you have Fedora only bug. Sometimes you introduce RHEL6 bug
> >(because you develop only on Fedora).

> i'd treat all platforms with the exception of latest fedora as
> production-platforms (in a sense that they are running with w/e
> system gems are available to them). In this case we can simply
> ignore versions part of gem specification in Gemfile.

You'd treat them as production platform. I see. But I ask: which
gem versions would you use for developing on MacOS or Debian? And I
answer: a random set instead of predictable one.

> >B) How would folks update those lock files. I mean if you want to add
> >new dependency, bundle install would bump all the versions there. Once
> >we start to rely on the Gemfile.lock, we will see folks bumping versions
> >randomly in the git.

> Again, not an issue on deployment platforms. They either use rpms,
> or Bundler.

But the whole discussion is about development, not deployment. Folks
will start committing Gemfile.lock changes as "bundle install" will be
issued shortly. And we will have this out of control.

I wonder the simplest solution is to provide our own gem repos.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine