[katello-devel] Comments on https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/1180

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 14:36:28 UTC 2012

I can not comment on a comment, so I figured I would bring them back here:

This is about migrating from spacewalk to katello. The pattern which is
in the pull request is an ETL (Expoert/Transfrom/Load) process, where
the Extrac and Trasform are done in the export steps, and the Load is
done by the CLI in the import actions. The main comment from Lzap and
Msuchy was around using DB to DB tools as opposed to to using scripts.
The main reason for this is that today, katello is 4 data stores and
will soon be 5. When we create an activation key, it goes into katello,
elastic search, and candlepin. Systems will go into pulp, candlepin,
katello, ES, and foreman. If we do postgres to postgres, we will end up
having to to write something which says "go into the Katello DB, and
push the changes out to all the other systems". TBF, we may need that
anyway in the future.

Some other questions:

* How to deal with None: This is treated as an email column in the CSV/JSON
* CSV Sucks! : Yes, but the import portions can be used without the
export.. so you can create your data in $YOUR_SPREADSHEET_TOOL and then
load them up.
* The performance will suck: Could be. But I do not believe we need to
migrate over either the package manifest or the action history. I do not
think users will care about this. Rather, we need pull over the system
list and the their subscriptions. The comment that the export loads all
the data into memory is valid. I should fix that.
* Has it been tested on real data: Yes, but small datasets.
* Why do it in private: I did send out on RFC a while ago. Then  figured
something running would be easier to discuss.

-- bk