[katello-devel] Foreman Registration Design

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 13:29:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 05:22:30PM +0000, Dominic Cleal wrote:
> We're going to have a few bits of bootstrap data required for a
> client-initiated registration, e.g.
>     - puppetmaster host
>     - environment
>     - organisation
>     - location
>
> Unless these can all be automatically derived somehow, or the user
> prompted for them all at registration time, it may need a different
> model.  How about treating them like a discovered machine (the work
> Greg's doing in Foreman), then having a way to "convert" them to a
> managed host and request the extra data from the user?

Users need to pass environment into subscription-manager to register as
well as organization. Location can be added here if it is not possible
to deduct it from organization/environment/user triple.

Puppetmaster host can be auto-deployed during installation of katello
certificate - users download an RPM from katello which contains katello
certificate and configures rhsm.conf file to point to the proper
hostname. I think we can do the same for Puppet master.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine