[katello-devel] Foreman Registration Design

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 11:25:31 UTC 2012

On 17/12/12 13:29, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 05:22:30PM +0000, Dominic Cleal wrote:
>> We're going to have a few bits of bootstrap data required for a
>> client-initiated registration, e.g.
>>     - puppetmaster host
>>     - environment
>>     - organisation
>>     - location
>>
>> Unless these can all be automatically derived somehow, or the user
>> prompted for them all at registration time, it may need a different
>> model.  How about treating them like a discovered machine (the work
>> Greg's doing in Foreman), then having a way to "convert" them to a
>> managed host and request the extra data from the user?
>
> Users need to pass environment into subscription-manager to register as
> well as organization. Location can be added here if it is not possible
> to deduct it from organization/environment/user triple.

Ok, that works.

> Puppetmaster host can be auto-deployed during installation of katello
> certificate - users download an RPM from katello which contains katello
> certificate and configures rhsm.conf file to point to the proper
> hostname. I think we can do the same for Puppet master.

I suppose the assumption for now is that the puppetmaster will always be
the Katello host - there won't any support for splitting up and
multiplying the number of puppetmaster hosts yet?  At that point, the
hostname may need to be more dynamic than as delivered in the RPM.

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering