[katello-devel] Load Balancer options

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 21:55:51 UTC 2012

Wrote up a wiki page where I wanted to explore if switching our Apache
ProxyBalancer options to something other than the default would help
when we had blocking IO.  You can see some test code that helps
reproduce the issue.  We can use this in the future to help pick a
better solution

https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/LoadBalancerChoice

the short conclusion is:

the fact that long running IO in Ruby 1.8.7 blocks the entire Ruby
process is pretty lame and all 3 algorithms offered by Apache make no
real difference in detecting and dealing with 'stuck' thin processes.

For now I think we are going to leave it alone until we can explore
other options like JRuby and Ruby 1.9.X

Mike
--
Mike McCune