[katello-devel] Notices generated from async tasks

Tomas Strachota tstrachota at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 22:28:15 UTC 2012

Hi team,
me and Brad discovered that the way we handle system notices generated
from asynchronous tasks isn't much user friendly. When a user starts an
async task from CLI and a notice is generated, it gets displayed after
he logs into UI for first time. This can lead to a lot of old and
already known notices after logging in. This currently happens for
example when a promotion fails.

It's not crucial for V1 at all but we can find some solution in advance.

Some basic ideas came out of our short discussion on that topic:

1) Determine whether a task was started from CLI or UI. Notices would be
generated only for the UI ones. Disadvantage here is that if I start a
task from CLI and switch to UI while it's still running, I won't see the
result notice.

2) Another option could be to pop up only notices not older than X
minutes when you log in. Others would be marked as read automatically.
Maybe an additional notice saying that X messages were skipped would be
handy here.

3) We could add feature to disable some types of notices.

As I've said above, it's not any critical problem. Sending the email
just to gather ideas and track the issue. From the currently proposed I
personally like #2 at most.

What do you think?

Tomas