[katello-devel] Proper way to remove repo from environment

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 16:35:32 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 04:18 AM, Ivan Nečas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Do we officially support removing (or let's say demoting) a repository
> from some environment. There is a command in CLI:
>
>     repo delete --name base --product zoo --env Dev
>
> This removes the repository from environment, but:
> 1. it's supported only from CLI (AFAIK)
> 2. it changes the environment without a changeset. In my understanding
> changeset should be  the only way how to change anything in the
> environment (at least for auditing purposes).
>
> So is this really a way how it should work? Or do we have some plan on
> this feature?

no, we should not offer that command as it stands now.  All changes to
content in every environment should be done with a changeset.  API calls
and CLI commands or UI screens that make blanket changes to content in
environments without a changeset violate this rule and concept we are
maintaining in Katello.

In future versions of Katello we will support 'demotion' of content
including Products, Repos, Packages, Errata, etc ... but for now we are
forward moving only.

I'd recommend you remove this CLI command for now until we can tie it
into a larger demotion based changeset feature.

Mike
--
Mike McCune
mmccune AT redhat.com