[katello-devel] why we have /usr/share/katello/script ?

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 13:52:00 UTC 2012

> No! Do not remove katello-reset-dbs. There are two use cases here:
>
> katello-configure --reset : Reset the system in preparation for a clean run of katello-configure as if it had never been run before.
>
> katello-reset-dbs : Wipe all the data and repopulate it with ACME_Corporation

Uh, I am basically done with implementation of

katello-configure --reset

but what it does is:

- drops katello db
- drops pulp db
- drops candlepin db
- erases elasticsearch index
- re-executes puppet to re-initalize all databases again

Actually I called this --reset-data.

So basically it replaces katello-reset-dbs. I was never working on a
task that would "clean system as if it had neven been run before".
Maybe a misunderstanding here. Anyway the --reset-data option was not so
hard, pretty challenging was to rewrite those parts of Puppet that was
not possible to run twice (were not idempotent). Now its all idempotent,
se we can run katello-configure (even without --reset-data) multiple
times and it just "corrects" all configuration deviations.

Basically there is no need of any cleanup task now, because you can run
katello-configure as many times as you want. Basically it should always
just "correct" everything. We will need to test this properly, since its
not possible for me to catch all the possible states, but this is it -
should always give you proper state. Even after yum update. And you can
also change configuration values to different ones. Should work.

I am testing with headpin right now. I hope I will push this soon
(tomorrow perhaps).

LZ

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine