[katello-devel] Promotions UI - looking for input on naming

Todd Warner taw at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 15:59:57 UTC 2012

On 07/20/2012 11:55 AM, Cliff Perry wrote:
> On 07/20/2012 10:49 AM, Brad Buckingham wrote:
>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> In the Katello UI, we currently have the following navigation leading to
>> the Promotions page:
>> Content -> Changeset Promotions -> Promotions (page)
>>
>> The current promotions page allows users to create change sets and
>> promote content from the current (e.g. Dev) to next (e.g. Test)
>> environment.
>>
>> We are now in the process of developing functionality to allow users to
>> also delete content from an environment. This functionality will be
>> built in to the current promotions UI; therefore, the UI will now
>> support 2 possible actions (deletions and promotions). As a result, it
>> seems like we should consider the navigation and page.
>>
>> Any thoughts/opinions?
>>
>> Possible renames might be:
>> Content -> Changeset Promotion / Deletion -> Promotions / Deletions
>> Content -> Changeset Management -> Promotions / Deletions
>
> I like this one the most ^^^^
> Content > Changeset Management > Promotions / Deletions
>

> Though 'Promotions / Deletions' seems wrongly worded, it doesn't sound
> right to me - hurts my ears.
>
> Shouldn't it be demotion and promotion?
> or Additions / Deletions
>
> or... Delta Sets :)
>
> or... Upgrade / Downgrade
>
> I'm sure you picked the word 'deletions' because that is what is
> happening, without thinking does that term work well with the others
> in play.
>
> Cliff

Yeah. But it is a deletion, right? You are not reverting something and
you are not... demoting it. Or are you? It almost seems like two
different, unrelated actions. I'm with Cliff... is sounds
"square-peggish". I'm not sure and am interested in other folks' opinions.

-todd

--
Todd Warner
Product Manager, RH Management and Cloud