[katello-devel] Provisioning Suggestion

Duncan.Innes at virginmoney.com Duncan.Innes at virginmoney.com
Wed Mar 28 06:50:22 UTC 2012

Guys,

Have been thinking about how to eliminate some of the key-presses in our
Satellite kickstart installs and came up with the following (note: I'm not
fully up to speed on Foreman provisioning, so don't know if this is
already covered):

I wondered if it would add any useful functionality to be able to create a
boot.kernel.org-style image on the Katello server.  The resultant image
would then boot a system and go direct to the Katello server for
instructions.  I know it's a basic copy of PXE booting, but it allows this
functionality to exist in a few key areas.

1. Deploying to VMware machines.  I could create a template with this boot
image on.  Firing up a machine created from this template would head
direct for the Katello server for provisioning.  PXE isn't the default
boot method for a VMware guest.  Using an image like this would get around
having to configure the machine to boot into BIOS and then tweak the BIOS
settings to boot PXE first.
2. Situations where PXE is not permitted.  No - there aren't many.  Or so
I thought.  When adding the PXE settings to your corporate DHCP servers
isn't permitted, you can be left high and dry when trying to provision new
machines.  An ISO image to boot from that heads directly to the Katello
server for menu etc would remove the task of having to alter syslinux
ISO's whenever a new kickstart is created, for example.

The value-add would be that both these scenarios would only need to be
done once (barring a change of hostname for the Katello server).  All the
logic, kickstarts, menu system (if wanted) stay on the Katello server.

Would this be at all useful to Katello - or have I missed a trick with
Foreman?

Cheers

Duncan Innes | Linux Architect | Virgin Money

This e-mail is intended to be confidential to the recipient. If you receive a copy in error, please inform the sender and then delete this message. Virgin Money do not accept responsibility for changes made to any e-mail after sending. Virgin Money have swept, and believe this e-mail to be free of viruses and profanity but make no guarantees to this effect.

Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England no. 3072766. Entered on the Financial Services Authority's Register http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/. Register Number 179271.

Church House Trust Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England no. 980698. Entered on the Financial Services Authority's Register http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/. Register Number 204459.

Virgin Money Unit Trust Managers Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England no. 3000482. Entered on the Financial Services Authority's Register. Register Number 171748.

Virgin Money Limited. Registered in England no. 4232392. Introducer appointed representative only of Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Limited.

Virgin Money Management Services Limited. Registered in England no. 3072772.

Virgin Money Holdings (UK) Limited. Registered in England no. 3087587.

All the above companies have their Registered office at Discovery House, Whiting Road, Norwich NR4 6EJ.

Northern Rock plc - Registered in England (Company No. 6952311). Registered Office: Northern Rock House Gosforth Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

All products are open only to residents of the United Kingdom.

This message has been checked for viruses and spam by the Virgin Money email scanning system powered by Messagelabs.