[katello-devel] Provisioning Suggestion

Ohad Levy ohadlevy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 13:39:38 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

| Guys,

| Have been thinking about how to eliminate some of the key-presses in
| our Satellite kickstart installs and came up with the following
| (note: I'm not fully up to speed on Foreman provisioning, so don't
| know if this is already covered):

| I wondered if it would add any useful functionality to be able to
| create a boot.kernel.org-style image on the Katello server. The
| resultant image would then boot a system and go direct to the
| Katello server for instructions. I know it's a basic copy of PXE
| booting, but it allows this functionality to exist in a few key
| areas.

So just to be clear, you are talking about a minimal OS boot, which would goto katello for more instructions?

How would you install / use that in the first place? CD, USB etc?

You could use g/ipxe for this, which could hit a url and process scripts (like which kernel to boot).

| 1. Deploying to VMware machines. I could create a template with this
| boot image on. Firing up a machine created from this template would
| head direct for the Katello server for provisioning. PXE isn't the
| default boot method for a VMware guest. Using an image like this
| would get around having to configure the machine to boot into BIOS
| and then tweak the BIOS settings to boot PXE first.
| 2. Situations where PXE is not permitted. No - there aren't many. Or
| so I thought. When adding the PXE settings to your corporate DHCP
| servers isn't permitted, you can be left high and dry when trying to
| provision new machines. An ISO image to boot from that heads
| directly to the Katello server for menu etc would remove the task of
| having to alter syslinux ISO's whenever a new kickstart is created,
| for example.

You'll be happy to hear that we are working on VMWare integration (similar to the existing RHEVM) where we would create instances in ESX/VCenter too, and we'll also take care for the boot order issue.

btw: on the same subject, I recommend to define all boot orders to boot from PXE first by default, this way you dont need to access the host you are provisioning after the initial putting the hw in place phase.

| The value-add would be that both these scenarios would only need to
| be done once (barring a change of hostname for the Katello server).
| All the logic, kickstarts, menu system (if wanted) stay on the
| Katello server.

| Would this be at all useful to Katello - or have I missed a trick
| with Foreman?

Foreman supports gpxe based scripts/snippets, and afaik, this is one usage way of how users provision with gpxe.

Thanks!
Ohad

PS. if any of you guys want to see how foreman works, please let me know, I'll be more than happy to demo.