[katello-devel] Merging and Pulling with no wait

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 20:21:17 UTC 2012

On 10/23/2012 03:52 PM, Jason Rist wrote:
> On Tue 23 Oct 2012 12:12:27 PM MDT, Bryan Kearney wrote:
>> On 10/23/2012 11:24 AM, Jason Rist wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone - I started a discussion on IRC because I can't just walk
>>> over to people's cubes and question things, but I thought an email would
>>> be best to expand the conversation.
>>>
>>> This morning I was going through my emails and I saw two emails for pull
>>> request 898. ( https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/898 ).  One for
>>> the pull request and 12 minutes later an ACK and merge.  Unless I'm
>>> checking my email all the time, I would have missed that.  And I did
>>> miss it.
>>>
>>> Now I'm picking on one pull request but the fact of the matter is that
>>> this has happened a bunch lately.
>>>
>>> The whole point of the pull request process is to make sure we're
>>> getting a chance to prevent errors like the one that pull request #903
>>> was made to fix.
>>>
>>> Eric pointed out that there isn't a specified wait time but can we
>>> please take into consideration that 12 minutes isn't enough for a pull
>>> request to be fully discussed?
>>
>> What is enought time? Keep in mind that for +5 hours of each day, the
>> other half of the team is not there.
>> -- bk
>>

> Then doesn't it have to be at least +5 hours?
>
> -J

So, here is my take. Feel free to jump in and disagree. I think the goal
of reviews and acks is to get a second set of eyes on the code to
improve quality. There is an secondary benefit of educating / including
other team members as well. However, I dont believe that is the primary
goal. I think watching the commit logs is how that needs to be done. If
we do not, then we have to go to a 24 hour delay on commits to ensure
folks from all time zones can participate.

-- bk