[katello-devel] Navigation Design - Better 1, Better 2

Eric D Helms ericdhelms at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 20:24:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Jeff Weiss <jweiss at redhat.com> wrote:

> Eric D Helms <ericdhelms at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Howdy All,
> >
> > You may recall that we are working on a re-design of our header and
> > navigation that started with -
> > https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/Navigation%20Enhancements
> >
> > After a few small iterations of implementation on my part, and discussion
> > back and forth with Kyle we have narrowed in on two that we would like
> your
> > feedback in choosing.  These are not drastically different than what the
> > link above presents, and the functionality with regard to scrolling (i.e.
> > header collapsing and going with you) and dropdowns for sub-navigation
> > remains the same.
> >
> > So, just like the eye doctor would ask, better 1:
> >

> https://fedorahosted.org/katello/attachment/wiki/Navigation%20Enhancements/Screen-1.png
> >
> > or better 2:
> >

> https://fedorahosted.org/katello/attachment/wiki/Navigation%20Enhancements/Screen-2.png
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Eric
>
> My vote is for #2.  It more clearly shows the difference between the
> menu and the breadcrumb (the menu is blue and the breadcrumb is white).
>
> The new design is a big improvement.  There's one minor issue I'd like
> to bring up and that is fixing the menu at the top of the screen even
> when the user scrolls down.  I don't think this is worth the effort and
> complexity.  Yes, it saves the user from pressing the "Home" key to see
> the menu again, but it also permanently takes up screen space.  IMO it
> is no improvement overall, and so the easiest thing to do is leave it as
> a "normal" page where everything scrolls off the top or bottom.

Around the complexity and effort argument - the time to implement that is
roughly 5-10 minutes.  The argument around taking up screen space is I feel
minor given it's only about 35 pixels high, as well as it allows quicker
navigation and provides access to notifications which are going to play a
bigger and less obtrusive role in the future.