[katello-devel] Navigation Design - Better 1, Better 2

Jeff Weiss jweiss at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 20:15:24 UTC 2013

Eric D Helms <ericdhelms at gmail.com> writes:

> Howdy All,
>
> You may recall that we are working on a re-design of our header and
> navigation that started with -
> https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/Navigation%20Enhancements
>
> After a few small iterations of implementation on my part, and discussion
> back and forth with Kyle we have narrowed in on two that we would like your
> feedback in choosing.  These are not drastically different than what the
> link above presents, and the functionality with regard to scrolling (i.e.
> header collapsing and going with you) and dropdowns for sub-navigation
> remains the same.
>
> So, just like the eye doctor would ask, better 1:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/katello/attachment/wiki/Navigation%20Enhancements/Screen-1.png
>
> or better 2:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/katello/attachment/wiki/Navigation%20Enhancements/Screen-2.png
>

> Thanks,
> Eric

My vote is for #2.  It more clearly shows the difference between the
menu and the breadcrumb (the menu is blue and the breadcrumb is white).

The new design is a big improvement.  There's one minor issue I'd like
to bring up and that is fixing the menu at the top of the screen even
when the user scrolls down.  I don't think this is worth the effort and
complexity.  Yes, it saves the user from pressing the "Home" key to see
the menu again, but it also permanently takes up screen space.  IMO it
is no improvement overall, and so the easiest thing to do is leave it as
a "normal" page where everything scrolls off the top or bottom.

--
Jeff Weiss
Principal Quality Assurance Engineer
jweiss at redhat.com