ks=http://... limited lenght ?

Tru Huynh tru at pasteur.fr
Thu Apr 29 22:25:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 04:27:30PM -0400, Mike McLean wrote:
> Tru Huynh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Did anyone notice that the lenght of the http:// provided kickstart
> > file is limited (and truncated) to 74 characters?
>
> Hmm, which version?

anaconda-9.1-8.centos.6 rebuild from anaconda-9.1-8.RHEL.src.rpm

here is the grub.conf I am using to kickstart:

title centos3 rescue console
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /centos3.kernel devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216 rescue ks=http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/unites/Binfs/ks/centos3.x86_64-install.cfg  console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8
        initrd /centos3.img

> I'm pretty sure I've used longer urls than that.  Could you be hitting
> the cmdline length limit? (1024 bytes I think)
I don't think so.

I can "wget http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/unites/Binfs/ks/centos3.x86_64-install.cfg" but
the kickstarting machine does not :(
If I make http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/unites/Binfs/ks/centos3.x86_64-install.cf file
available, it downloads it fine and install properly.

Don't try to get this file, the access is restricted to our internal network ;)

Tru