kickstarts and xml

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Feb 23 20:33:46 UTC 2004

So it seems like the boot floppy disk(s) are on their way into the
great graveyard of old technology.

That being said this removes the constraint of adding new things to
kickstart!

So I was thinking - what if the kickstart file format was ditched for an
xml format instead.

with things going to boot.isos for booting fedora core (and I'd hope
rhel) then libxml2+python bindings shouldn't be an issue to get on the
disk.

It would mean more consistent and sane parsing of kickstarts, more easy
to generate a kickstart from a config file and still trivially editable
by a human.

think, for example, of how much easier the disk partitioning
specification could become if it is in a cleaner format than the
getopt-format that is now used?

You could also, potentially, do cased dependencies in the kickstart -
which would add flexibility and power.

Is this worth thinking about?
-sv