Making a Kick Start CD (Enterprise Linux ES 3)

Mac McClellan mmcclell at nuskin.com
Wed Mar 3 18:28:24 UTC 2004

I want to inject my ks.cfg file into the iso image of my installation
CD.

I've read the documentation on RedHat's site, spotty at best, and
searched the web for helpful info and I think I pretty much have the
idea correct but am missing some minor detail or I don't understand
something.

I've taken CD #1 iso image and mount it like this:

mount -o loop rhel-3-U1-i386-es-disc1.iso /mnt/iso

The I copy the entire CD image to a directory I created for this
purpose:

cp -Rav /mnt/iso/* /root/isofilesys/

I add the ks.cfg file to the root of this new 'filesystem'

Here's the part that fails.  I try to create a new iso image from that
new directory structure.  Here's the command I'm trying to use:

mkisofs -o new.iso -b /root/isofilesys/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c
/root/isofilesys/isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4
-boot-info-table -R -J -v -T /root/isofilesys/

And here is what it spits out:

mkisofs 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
Scanning /root/isofilesys/
Scanning /root/isofilesys/dosutils
Scanning /root/isofilesys/dosutils/autoboot
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/dosutils/autoboot/TRANS.TBL
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/dosutils/TRANS.TBL
Scanning /root/isofilesys/images
Scanning /root/isofilesys/images/pxeboot
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/images/pxeboot/TRANS.TBL
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/images/TRANS.TBL
Scanning /root/isofilesys/isolinux
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/isolinux/TRANS.TBL
Scanning /root/isofilesys/RedHat
Scanning /root/isofilesys/RedHat/base
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/RedHat/base/TRANS.TBL
Scanning /root/isofilesys/RedHat/RPMS
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/RedHat/RPMS/TRANS.TBL
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/RedHat/TRANS.TBL
Scanning /root/isofilesys/RedHat/Updates
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/RedHat/Updates/TRANS.TBL
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/TRANS.TBL
call to search_tree_file with an absolute path, stripping
initial path separator. Hope this was intended...
mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory
'/root/isofilesys/isolinux'!

I've checked and double checked the path and it is correct.  And why is
it excluding the TRANS.TBL files and what are their significance?

I've been able to create an Installation Boot CD using the instructions
at
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-steps-install-cdrom.html#S2-STEPS-MAKE-CD

but that does not put any of the packages on the CD.

I'd also like to customize the CD and possibly fit it all of the
packages that I need for my installation on one CD.  If anyone can point
me in the right direction on that issue, I'd appreciate it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac McClellan
Sr. Network Engineer