System freeze after VFS:Mount root (ext2 filesystem)

Paul English tallpaul at speakeasy.org
Tue Feb 1 01:40:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Paul English wrote:

> doing kickstart... setting it up
> reverse name lookup failed (I checked this one out, it seems to be NBD)
> url is 10.0.1.1:/data/Kickstart/ks-WB30.cfg
> file location: nfs://10.0.1.1:/data/Kickstart/ks-WB30.cfg
>
> And that is it! Nothing more about failing to mount the nfs directory or
> anything. It gets the kickstart file and then just stops. Hitting enter no
> longer makes the cursor move down the screen, but the "alt-F<x>" commands
> work and control-alt-delete works.

And with some help from a friend, I solved the problem. nfsd was not
configured to start on boot. And /var/log/messages doesn't even get
"failed to mount" messages if nfsd isn't running. So the server was
sitting there silently and the client was silently failing to mount the
nfs directory and get it's ks.cfg file.

Thanks all,
Paul