Kickstart problems...

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 22:59:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Robert McKenzie wrote:

>I have been spending way too much time trying to get a functional pxe
>kickstart server going.  I've been through at least 4 or 5 howtos on
>this and still come up to the same end each time.  The problem is...
>
>The new system loads it's kernel from the server using PXE with no
>problem, but then it insists on trying to get a DHCP address (dynamic).
>I have in my dhcpd.conf a static IP for the host, based on MAC but this
>seems only to work for the first step of the PXE boot.

Perhaps anaconda isn't getting enough info from the command line's
"ip=10.102.144.98", thus resorting to DHCP. I'd expect at least the
netmask would be needed. From the docs
(/usr/share/doc/anaconda-*):

ip=<ip>   IP to use for a network installation, use 'dhcp' for DHCP.

netmask=<nm>    Netmask to use for a network installation.

gateway=<gw>    Gateway to use for a network installation.

dns=<dns>  Comma separated list of nameservers to use for a network installation.

Cheers,
Phil