Network kickstart weirdness

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Mon May 23 21:49:43 UTC 2005

It was my big mystery too - until I realized that the devil was in our
switch. The PXE seems to send a few "up/down" signals to our switch so
it finds DHCP rather "fast" ... 2-4 seconds. However, once booted and
the RH installer runs through the same steps, the switch is taking
forever to reset/open the port. This results in a time-out, and
kickstart asking for network information - it assumes something is wrong.

My "solution" is no more than just hitting "ok" when being asked for
network information, and on the second try our switch has finally gotten
around to opening up again, and things work.

I don't know if that helps you - it's not a fool proof situation; but in
our cases we only use Kickstart to build a baseline system on new boxes.
  So it's no big deal to us.

Regards
   Peter Larsen