%pre and include files

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Mon Jun 12 18:54:33 UTC 2006

I have a pretty nice kickstart setup going but now I need two different
LVM/RAID schemes: One for our 2 drive systems which we want mirrored and
one for our 4 drive systems which we want configured with a RAID 5 and a
spare. So I split out the common kickstart configs into a file called
ks-standardoptions.cfg so I have one central place to edit the things in
common and have only the machine specific LVM/RAID config and an include
in each main kickstart config. Eventually I will try to put some smarts
in the %pre to detect how many HD's the machine has and load the right
one. For now I choose at boot time. The problem is: The machine only
tftp's the main kickstart file. How do I get the other file to be
included? Googling reveals that most people seem to put a wget in a %pre
and then include the file they wget. I have tried that but it seems
either it is not successfully retrieving the config file to be included
or it is not being included at all.

I do not see any way to debug what happens during %pre as I do not see
any output, not even errors.  Is there some option I am missing? Some
way to single step it? I guess I could try making the shell /bin/sh -x
and see if it echos the commands to the screen as they execute.

Does it matter where the %pre and %post sections are located in the
kickstart config? Most people seem to put them at the end. But my
%include is at the beginning. I read somewhere that two passes are made
processing includes so that if the file to be included is not present
the first time around it eventually executes the %pre and it tries
again. Is that correct?

An example of my main config can be found here:
http://paste.plone.org/4669

Anyone see a problem with this? Thanks!

--
Tracy R Reed                  http://ultraviolet.org