Figuring package class

Shawn K. O'Shea shawn at ll.mit.edu
Tue May 30 21:09:53 UTC 2006

>>I was trying to figure out, for instance, why "apr" gets installed...
>>but can't find any chaining or dependencies.  And it's not named
>>explictly in comps.xml or any of the other xml.gz files.

If you have an installed system, you can do a "test remove" of the
package to see what packages depend on it:

# rpm -q --provides apr
libapr-0.so.0
apr = 0.9.4-24.5.c4.1
# rpm -e --test apr
error: Failed dependencies:
        libapr-0.so.0 is needed by (installed)
mod_perl-1.99_16-4.centos4.i386
        libapr-0.so.0 is needed by (installed) apr-util-0.9.4-21.i386
        libapr-0.so.0 is needed by (installed)
httpd-2.0.52-22.ent.centos4.i386
        apr >= 0.9.4-24.2 is needed by (installed)
httpd-2.0.52-22.ent.centos4.i386

-Shawn