Kickstart setup for different hardware profiles - Help!

Shabazian, Chip Chip.Shabazian at bankofamerica.com
Thu Nov 2 17:22:14 UTC 2006

Driver disks (if needed) can be loaded from either the boot line, OR
from the kickstart file.  Of course, if you need them for the NIC, then
you are going to have to load them from the boot line.  This can be done
with either a custom boot cd, via pxeboot, or manually entered on the
boot line.

You can do a lot in %pre to figure out different machines, drives, etc.
dmidecode is useful to figure out which machine you are on.  Doing this,
you can have one kickstart for all servers.

If you are going to pxeboot, you are going to need a dhcp server to
assign the initial address.  You can setup the dhcp server to only
assign addresses to specific machines, and to assign a specific IP
address.  Your kickstart file can then make that IP address static.