Kickstart setup for different hardware profiles - Help!

anthony parackel anthonyparackel at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 21:08:10 UTC 2006

Hi All,

  Unfortunately, I’m assigned the task of creating a kickstart environment that contains the following machines:

  Dell 1850
  Dell 1950
  Dell 2850
  Dell 2950

  Each system will have RHEL 4 loaded on it.  I’m very new to linux(Junior SysAdmin) and I
  need to come up with a way to overcome the following obstacles.

       1.  I need to be able to install specific NIC drivers that aren’t supported

       eg. The 2950 won’t boot off the network because it doesn’t have the Broadcom NetXtreme II Gigabit ethernet driver(bnx2)

        Should I setup an environment that will load the drivers off a CD?  Or is this even possible with PXE? (Not sure how it works)
        My guess is that I’d have to put ‘dd’ on a boot line.  Is this correct?

  2.    Each machine contains different hard drives(SATA, SCSI and SAS).  What would be the most
   efficient way to load the drivers for these different types of controllers?  I plan on setting up a NFS source where these drivers can be loaded using
   The “—driverdisk” option.  Would this be the best way?

  3.       Since there are multiple hardware profiles, Is it best to have different ks.cfg files on a CD or a network share?  I’d want to ideally assign static Ips
  to each server instead of using DHCP.

  Honestly, I’m very confused and intimidated by this task.  Can anybody please point down the right path?

  ANY advice is appreciated.

  Thanks in advance,