Specify MAC address in kickstart

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Wed Oct 24 13:34:15 UTC 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Vimal Kumar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had a query from a customer who has four network interfaces in
> his server and while doing a kickstart, he want interfaces with
> particular MAC addresses get assigned the name eth0, eth1 etc..
>
> ie.. He wants the interface with MAC '00:14:5E:B3:56:F4' be eth0,
> interface with MAC '00:14:5E:A7:0B:B8' be eth1 and so on..
>
> I was only able to locate the directives for the 'network' section
> in kickstart, specified below. Are there any directives available
> to configure MAC addresses or is there a work around for this.

The only way to do configuration that kickstart can't do directly, is
to write the configuration files yourself from a %post script

%post
cat <<END > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR= 00:14:5E:B3:56:F4
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
END

cat <<END > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR= 00:14:5E:A7:0B:B8
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
END

--
Jason Kohles
email at jasonkohles.com
http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing."  -- Voltaire